There are few meals my kids squeal with excitement over – fish sticks and tartar sauce is one of them. Verbatim last night from my 5-year old daughter, “MOM! (SQEEEEEEEEE) it’s about time, I’ve been waiting for those fishy sticks! They are my favorite dinner ever!”
So needless to say, it’s not necessary to add a kid-friendly option to this blog post. I serve the fish sticks with Jackson’s potato chips (which I fully understand, are not Whole30 compliant) and a dill pickle for the kids, and for the adults, same #FoodFreedomForever.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Recipe adapted from: Macnifique
- 1.5lbs cod
- ¾ cup almond flour/meal
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 small lemon for garnish, cut into quarters
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons dill pickle, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon capers, chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a wide shallow dish mix together the ground almonds, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Rinse and then dry your pieces of fish.
- Place fish onto a chopping board and cut into evenly sized long portions.
- Place a few pieces at a time into the ground almond crumbs and coat evenly.
- Place the well coated pieces of fish onto the baking sheet.
- Repeat the process until all pieces of fish are evenly coated.
- Once the fish sticks have been coated, place the baking sheet in the oven, bake for 20-25mins.
- Let cool for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve with tartar sauce.
For the tartar sauce
- Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Serve with fish sticks.
- Lasts 1 week in the refrigerator.