My favorite kinds of dinners are the ones where you throw everything in a casserole dish and cook it together at the same time. Quick and easy. It’s even BETTER when it’s done in under 30 minutes. With that said, I bring to you this delicious chicken dish…
Adapted from Diethood
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
- 3 Tbsp cooking fat (olive oil, coconut oil, lard, etc.)
- 4 to 6 chicken pieces (thighs, chicken breast, legs, etc…)
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 can (14-ounces) quartered artichokes, rinsed and drained
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, sliced into thin rounds
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bag (6 to 8 ounces) baby spinach (reserve a handful for the kids’ dishes)
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Over medium-high heat, place cooking fat in a large nonstick skillet.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to skillet and brown on both sides; about 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove chicken from skillet and place in a baking dish, leaving oil in skillet.
- Add artichokes, onions, carrots and chopped garlic to the skillet.
- Cook for 5 minutes, or until vegetables are slightly tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach; continue to cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and add vegetables to chicken in the baking dish.
- Place baking dish in the oven and bake for 18 minutes, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes.
- Plate and ladle liquid and veggies over chicken pieces.
- This dish can absolutely be served on it’s own, but I like to serve this over the Whole30 coconut cauliflower rice. The rice adds another layer of flavor and lends a good healthy fat. Find the recipe HERE.
- This dish can be prepared 3 days beforehand (kept in the fridge) and cooked for an even easier weekday dinner.
*MAKE IT KID-FRIENDLY*
- Have your kids help cook dinner.
- While the chicken is cooking, make a batch of white rice.
- When the chicken dish has cooled, cut up a piece of chicken (my kids prefer the thigh meat) and place on a plate with a scoop of rice.
- Remember that reserved spinach? Add that to the plate along with some dump ranch.